Coaching the Hope of the World
"The local church is the hope of the world" is what Willow Creek's Bill Hybels has said time and time again. In the closing session last week's Global Leadership Summit, Hybels came back to this core idea…even to the point that he said he Googled this statement and found more than 200 million hits! It's a compelling statement, but also a revealing one. During Hybels' talk, I innocently tweeted out the quote (follow me here), as you see in the screen shot below. I wasn't really prepared for some of the pushback it started.
You're seeing the just the first couple responses from @jimmykdoyle…Jimmy highlighted a key distinction--the difference between Jesus as the hope of the world and Jesus' work in the church as the hope of the world.
Which leads to the question: How do you coach the fact that our attention needs to center on Jesus, SO THAT the local church can be the hope of the world? Here are five strategies that I use in my coaching:
- Pray thoroughly before the coaching session. If the coach is focused on Jesus first, the chances of staying focused (and experiencing hope) improve!
- Remember that "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” (Matthew 18:20 ESV) The coach can ensure that Jesus is present in the conversation. More on that in a future post.
- Use your active listening skills to highlight glimpses of Jesus at work. It might sound like this: "What I'm hearing you say is that you're seeing Jesus change the team you're working with into one that is healthier!" Echoing someone's words back to themselves is powerful!
- Ask direct questions about where Jesus is showing up. "Where do you see people growing in Christ-like character?" "How are you changing?" "What's the next thing you sense the Spirit is challenging you on?"
- Watch for patterns. Some times hope comes from very predictable places, and if you know what to look for, your clients might find hope at a time when they need it most!
Bottom line, Jesus is the hope of the world, and he does his work THROUGH the church…and we--as coaches--get to be a part of it! Coach on!
The CoachNet Event Calendar...PLUS free webinars, other interesting items, and more!
December 10, 2013The Sharper Edge Leadership Webinar with Gary Rohrmayer
January 7, 2014[Online] cnEssential Coach Training - January 2014
January 8, 2014